Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Crazy Curve

I have a theory about kids and the wacky stuff they say. When kids start to talk, they can't say much, so when something comes out, it's just one out of a few words they know. When you get to be a teenager, you can construct sentences to say anything you want, but you're smart enough by then to know which are the truly ridiculous things and keep them in. There's kind of a sweet spot in the middle, somewhere between 5 and 8, where kids think up all kinds of weird stuff, and they don't know it's ridiculous, and they can articulate it.

In my head, it looks like this:
My kids (ages 1/3/4/4) are just getting into the zone these days, especially the twins. When I watch them and The Superhero is off doing something else, I like to write down the funny things they say so she can read them later. Today I'll share them with the rest of you too.

This afternoon I was helping them with a video game and told Twin A how he had to move something. To which he started to sing:

Twin A: "I like to move it move it, I like to move it move it."
Number 3: "I like to MOVE it too!"

Just now I went upstairs and heard a ruckus going on in the 3 older kids' room so I went in to tell them to quiet down and go to sleep.

Me: "Everyone, I have two things to say: 1) That's a very nice pepperoni song you're singing, and 2) It's time for everyone to find a pillow and a bed."
Twin A: "The soup is all over me!"
Me: "Excuse me?"
Twin A: "The soup is all over me! I'm wet!"
Twin B: "This is our Jumping Bed!" (as he scurries off to the other bed which is presumably the Sleeping Bed).
Number 3: "Can I sleep in the bucket?" (They have a large Rubbermaid bucket in their room that they've emptied of toys).
Me: "Yes, you may sleep in the bucket." (Number 3 proceeds to put his pillow into the bucket and curl up in it).

They'd better start sliding down the other side of the crazy curve before they start looking for a woman to marry. Or date. Or even talk to. That is all I have to say.

1 comment:

  1. I must not have been present when the crazy curve was introduced. I'm past the age where I should be able to keep some of the weird stuff in, and I still routinely engage my mouth before my brain. :)

    LisserB (longtime reader of The Superhero)

    ReplyDelete